Friday, November 28, 2014

Estes Equinox Build Part 12, Balsa Filling and Tube Trim



Tung wood problems again!
This is the fin unit from the Estes Equinox.
Even after primer/filler I had to fill the new open wood pores with some CWF.




This is getting ridiculous!
The tabs are still showing after gluing, filling, priming, sanding, filling, priming, sanding, white undercoat and gray color coat.


The new jet tubes got color coats of Testor's Master Modeler Gunmetal Gray.
I've learned with the Testor's spray to use many light coats, without a final heavier coat.

The open ends still show the brown interior.



The ends and some of the reachable interior got hit with a Sharpie pen.
This just finishes things off so the brown inside isn't so noticeable.

2 comments:

  1. I had a similar problem on an Estes Flutter-Bye. I filled and primed the fins, but the final coat of color still had grain pores. Must have been Tung wood. When I build my second Flutter-bye I will paper the fins for strength and a smooth finish (per your blog build).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eero,
      Yeah, I'm getting very frustrated with the Tung wood fins. They are stronger than balsa but very hard to fill. I hate to think I'll have to cut new fins from better, stiff balsa or basswood.
      The original Centuri Flutter-By instructions recommended that the fins be papered. On a model that lands hard (like this one) it's probably the best way to go.

      Delete