Friday, November 7, 2014
Model Profile, Centuri Aerobee 350
Here's one I found on my bedroom shelf on the recent California trip - the Centuri Aerobee 350.
The kit was ST-10 based and stood 16 1/2" tall.
You can see this original catalog page HERE
I searched online and couldn't find the instructions anywhere.
Kit parts and construction tell us this was an earlier run of the kit.
The shock cord mount was laced through cut slits in the body tube.
The 1972 catalog description mentions a "Payload Section" nose cone. That suggests a newer snap on base plastic nose cone.
The balsa cone shoulder is only about 5/16" long!
The red shroud lines are tied onto the screw eye.
The inset picture shows bubbles in the launch lug fillet. Titebond M&TG wasn't on the market yet.
The body tube shows some body tube seams. Back then I wasn't filling them in. The balsa grain isn't showing. I used four coats of sanding sealer, sanding between coats.
The rocket was clean, never flown.
I don't know why the conduit tunnels were left off. They are shown in the catalog pictures.
This sure doesn't look like the catalog color scheme.