Sunday, September 1, 2013

Estes Mini Shuttle Build. Part 3, Nose Weight Clay



The Estes instructions specify the clay weight is 1/2" square.
I cut the square of clay to 1/2" and it weighed at .20 oz.

I'll add a bit more to reach .25 oz. This is just a guess, I would think the kit contained a quarter ounce of clay.
Here's a tip I picked up when building the Rocketarium kit:

TIP:  Instead of making clay worms, roll small balls from the clay.
Drop in two or three and press them in the nose cone tip with the end of a square dowel. (Rinse, lather repeat.)

It's easier to press small balls of clay in place instead of chasing a clay worm around the inside of the nose cone.

2 comments:

  1. I'm always a bit worried about using clay in the nose - my thinking is that over time it will dry out and let go - only to end up rattling around inside. Have you ever found that?

    My solution has always been to scuff up the inside of the nose and use epoxy/shot to the same weight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had problems with nose weight clay coming lose. I tend to buy the kids modeling clay that doesn't dry out.
    I have seen where the oils in the modeling clay can work it's way out and stain a cardstock body like the old Centuri Vulcan.

    ReplyDelete