Saturday, September 28, 2013

Cancun Update 7 - Warning! No rocketry content here -

We have a driver who picks us up at the condo and takes us to the resorts to do a show.
Alex (We call him "Chauffer Loco") drives like a maniac, dodging in and out of traffic and is constantly over the speed limit.

Last night he was pulled over by the police.
It was Alex, Dante (a magician) and myself.
I'd heard of the Mexican Police being corrupt, tonight I saw it first hand.

The Policeman talked to Alex in Spanish, I picked up what little I could understand.
The policeman was threatening to write a $150.00 speeding ticket or he would let it slide if we slipped him 300 pesos ($25.00)
Alex was panicked. He only had a single 10 peso coin. Dante and I both had a 20 peso note.
We gave Alex the 40 pesos. With his 10 pesos we only had 50 pesos for the officer.

The officer asked Alex to get out of the car. They walked to the back of the car and talked.
After a few minutos, Alex came back and we drove off.

Alex told us what the officer said to him privately:
"Is this a joke? You only have 50 pesos between the three of you?
Come on, those Gringos have money. All Americans have money!"
(Well, not banjo playing Gringos, anyway)

Alex told him we didn't have any more money. I don't carry any more cash than I think I might need and was going to the ATM tomorrow anyway. He let us go for 50 pesos.



On the plus side, I went to Chichen Itza yesterday.
I did look at the open grassy area and thought:
"This would be a good D engine field."

No comments:

Post a Comment