Tuesday, December 30, 2014

FlisKits Mercury Redstone Build Part 20, Masking and Cleaning Up


I've masked and painted Mercury Redstones before but this was a small hard mask.
The Scotch tape strips look strange in the left side picture. More masking tape was added.
On the right is the reveal after the tape was pulled.
The horizontal lines were rough and there was some paint that got under the tape.
To clean it up I used some orange cleaner on a Q-tip. The swab was dipped into the cleaner and the excess blotted in a paper towel.

Careful wiping took off the black that rolled over the leading edge of the fin.
There wasn't much I could do with the horizontal mask. Some thin decal strips were cut and placed over the bad mask.




Here's the lower end after cleaning it up.
It's not perfect but good enough for me.

More touch-ups with a small brush are needed.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jim,
    Yeah, my camera goes into Macro mode when I took pictures of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. she is looking great Chris! and I agree with Jim...this is a tiny rocket! But a really cool rocket though!! I always loved the paint scheme on the Mercury Redstone....colorful and very distinctive....just a classic looking rocket.

    NJRick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Chris...Happy New year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find working with tiny parts really difficult - especially masking them. I don't know how you do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniel,
      The masking on this one did not turn out well. It's hard enough to mask a bigger Mercury Redstone. On one this small the mask lines were poor. I usually don't have to go back and use decals to define the lines.

      Delete