Friday, August 6, 2010

Sky Hook Build Part 3


The fin on the left has been filled with Carpenter's Wood Filler and sanded smooth.
The fin on the has been stained with Walnut wood stain.

Contrary to what some believe, Carpenter's Wood Filler doesn't actually seal the wood. Stain will still permeate it and soak into the wood.

I'm using the fins that came with the kit as I'm trying to replicate the build I made for the Estes Craftsmanship Contest back in 1972. I used the kit fins on the original version of the build.

The grain on this balsa isn't very exciting. If I were to build a show model, I'd go through the balsa rack at a hobby store and pick out a sheet with lots of wild grain patterns.

I've sprayed the fins with Rustoleum Painter's Touch Clear.
Here it is after just two coats, sanding lightly between coats.
In the past I've done clear coat treatments using red, orange, green and blue stains. The color leather stains from Tandy Leather work very well on balsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment