Friday, August 27, 2010

Big Girtha Finished!


Here's the Big Girtha finished and ready for the next N.E.F.A.R. launch in Bunnell, Florida on September 11.

I didn't get into the fin masks this time, my methods have been explained before. I wanted to concentrate on the tape trim stripes.














I was happy with the way this one turned out.

Lessons learned -
  • I haven't made a scratch baffle in a while, I forgot how easy they were to make.
  • I don't paper the fins very often, next time I'd do another primer coat and sand on the fins.
  • While I can see why some prefer papering fins, I didn't feel I saved any time. They did require covering, trimming, filling the edges, priming, sanding and spray painting. But considering the core is balsa, they feel much stronger!

No comments:

Post a Comment