Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Freedom 7 Build Part 3 Capsule


I can assume all four of the capsule wraps on the pattern sheet are the same size and would now fit the nose cone correctly.

I cut out the Freedom 7 wrap but cut the glue tab a little longer than the cut line showed. I just felt it was a little too small for gluing. I knew this could effect the final fit on the balsa nose cone, the Dr. Zooch parts and wrap fits are very accurate.


After gluing the tab area, I used two 1/2" dowels to "roll" the two sides together. The horizontal dowel was rolled (not rubbed) over the glue tab and seam. The vertical dowel simply gave me a hard, round interior surface to roll against. The dowel is much harder that my fingertips. Using a interior dowel helps form the shroud round at the glue tab.

TIP: When making a shroud, it takes very little glue on the tab to hold it together.


Here's the first capsule wrap in place - three more to go!
Notice the wide overhang of the wrap, it's supposed to be that way. The overhang will match the upper tank band wrap to be added later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment