Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Enerjet 1340 Build Monokote Trim Part 8



I was lucky to find Monokote Trim today at a local hobby store.
The only gold sheet they had was old. I hoped the bends and creases wouldn't show on the finished model. The aluminum sheet looked new.

I wrapped copy paper around the body tube to get the approximate circumference.
A thin pencil line was drawn down the body tube for edge alignment.

The gold piece was cut to size, slightly larger than the circumference.

Past experience with pressure sensitive trim (stickers of all sizes) reminded me not to take it entirely off the backing sheet. I only cut away 1/4" of the backing along the edge to line it up on the pencil mark.

As I worked around the tube, more of the backing sheet was pulled back. I pressed out any bubbles as I went.
Just be sure your body tube and fingers are clean before starting. Any speck of dust or lint will show under the Monokote surface.
At the end there was a slight overlap of about 1/16", hardly noticeable when burnished down.

After the gold was in place, I cut black bands from electrical tape. I went to the Enerjet flyer site and kept enlarging the image until it was close to the size of my ST-13 body tube. The bands ended up being just over 1/4" wide.

To be sure the bands were put on straight around the tube, I wrapped a piece of copy paper around the tube for a guide. Look close in the picture, you can see the paper guide just under the black band.



Here's the finished upper body.

The gold wrap wasn't any problem, the creases and divots didn't show when all was rubbed down.

2 comments:

  1. How do you know that the color is gold chrome? From the B&W photo at JimZ's website you can't really tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jack,
    I really don't know! It seemed right at the time. I just liked the looks of it.
    With many clone finishes color choice a guess.

    ReplyDelete