Saturday, August 21, 2010

Solo Launch 8/21/10



I still have a few Micro Maxx engines knocking around - today's the day.

At the schoolyard I flew the MMX cardstock downscales of Cloud Hopper, Star Snoop and Galaxy Guppy. This was the second flight for the Guppy, first time it wasn't stable. All three of these have balsa nose cones (no room for clay) so I set three nail heads in each for frontal weight and stability. The Galaxy Guppy was the highest flier of the three GoonyBirds. All three were straight up and stable.

To see how the nails are set in BMS style balsa cones, check the August 3, 2010 blog entry under "tips."

My Odd'l Rockets Break-Away downscale flew great and at ejection it separated into four tethered sections for recovery. The big kit version separates into six sections.

I tried to launch the cardstock Cherokee T with a 39 year old MPC 1/2A3-3m engine. The original MPC igniter did burn but the engine was a no-go. When I removed it to put in a new igniter, there was some lug binding on the 1/8" rod. I'd rolled my own launch lugs and with the Florida humidity they swelled and were tight on the rod. I'll replace the lugs and fly it another day.

Last up was the Quest Area 51 Saucer. The picture shows my pick for the downloadable decor - the bewildered Aliens. An Estes C6-0 gave a labored boost. It flew up and in my line of sight, all I could see was a wide smoke contrail.

No comments:

Post a Comment