Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Sky Hook Build Part 7



Here's how I cut the mask for the fins.

I'm back at the patio door glass, the fin is taped to the outside of the glass.
This is a simple way to see its shape and (hopefully) cut a mask that will fit the fin.

I had to make six fin masks. For consistency, I made dots at the intersection points of the mask with a Sharpie. (It'll all come off the glass later.)
Remember the fin is taped to the outside of the glass - Scotch tape was laid over the inside of the glass over the fin silhouette.

I used my straight edge to cut the tape using the black dots as end points.


This is the tape leaving the outside of the leading edges open for the white border paint. Masking tape was added for a "handle" and to cover any parts not fully covered by the Scotch tape.
You can see the glove on my hand, I'll be holding these when spraying.




The finished fins, ready for gluing on the main body. I decided to paint the fins off the body tube, it just made a complex mask easier.



No comments:

Post a Comment