Thursday, August 26, 2010

Big Girtha Build Trim Tape Part 19


I'm trying to capture the Big Bertha paint scheme from the 1969 Estes Catalog. Not an exact copy - just the general feel.
That barber pole at the top will be interesting to replicate.
From the picture, it looks like there is four or five red stripes spiraling up the tube. I'm going with four stripes.

The lowest end of a single strip starts directly above the top of the fin's leading edge and finishes to the right, directly above the top of the next fin.


After the entire model was painted white, I drew faint pencil lines down the length of the body using my aluminum angle. The bottom of the angle was lined up with the fin leading edge tip. Four lines were penciled on the upper 5" of the body tube.

First up, I'd probably mask the fins and paint the lower third of the body red as in the picture. Then I'd follow with all the trim stripes. But Central Florida has rain - all day. I can do the barber pole trim now and spray when the weather is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment