Thursday, August 12, 2010

Enerjet 1340 Build Part 2


The MARS package contained the plastic fin can from the Centuri Argus kit from 1973. The same fin unit and nose cone was also used in the Centuri Phoenix Bird, Estes Maniac and still part of the Estes Eliminator. With the forward fin fairings it reflects the Centuri style.
The fin unit was rough at the top above the fins. It'll take a bit of cleaning up.

Notice the integrated launch lug. This was the first time I'd ever seen the lug molded into the fin unit.

3 comments:

  1. I realize that this is a comment on an 8 year old post. Do you have the dimensions of the Argus fin unit or know where I might be able to find them? I would like to 3D print a copy of the fins and make another Argus. This was my first model rocket, ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Unknown,
      I don't have this model anymore - keep an eye out on Ebay for the Centuri Mars Project hobby store display kit, or the Estes Maniac and Estes Longshot kits.
      Here's a YORF link with other 1340 info:

      http://oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=632&page=1&pp=10
      I know you are looking for the Argus, but those posts might give enough info to do a scratch build.
      The Estes Phoenix Bird re-issue had a balsa fin unit almost the same look as the Argus fin can.
      Good luck with your build quest!

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Chris. I ordered a copy of the Phoenix Bird and will complete the build from there.

    I found a materials list, instructions and decals here:
    http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/centuri.htm

    I will try to convert these fins to a 3D printed fin unit.

    ReplyDelete