There was a pretty good exchange on TRF about the new "stronger" formula Elmer's Glue All.
At left is the older formula bottle, #E372
In the middle, the new "Stronger Formula" #E1324
On the right, School Glue #E308
Here's what was posted on TRF:
Everyone knows you should not use yellow glue when joining airframe tubes with couplers, right? So I thought I should follow the common wisdom and use white glue instead of going with epoxy. (Did I mention that I hate coupling LPR tubes?)
What I didn't realize was that Elmer's Glue-All (New Stronger Formula!) is now a close relative to cyanoacrylate glue rather than the slippery white stuff of days gone by.
Needless to say, the coupler went in about 3/4" and seized up. I panicked and banged the end of the coupler down on the bench to drive the coupler further into the tube. The additional 3/4" that resulted was close to where it should have been so press on!
Figuring I had not used enough glue to create that slippy/slidey feeling, I added even more Elmer's to the other tube and spread it around making sure I had a nice even coating.
Same story. The coupler went in 3/4" and no more. I tried to remove the second airframe tube and managed to crinkle the aft tube WITHOUT budging anything. (See why I hate LPR tubing couplers?)
Alrighty then, nothing for it but to salvage what I could (fins and motor hook) and do what I should have done in the first place: Replace all the flimsy waxy Estes airframe tubes with standard white tubes from QuasarOne.
Note to self: Use epoxy when doing couplers. It just works.
Note to everyone else: Elmer's Glue-All (New Stronger Formula!) is to be avoided at all costs. This vile stuff's only redeeming attribute is the pointy cap which can be used as a replacement for the annoying ones found on Titebond Mounting and Trim Glue.
Ouch. I just had a similar experience trying to put a baffle into an old BT-80 rocket. Shouldn't have tried it, but I could slide it all the way down the tube, so I figured why not? Spread some Elmers on there, and should slip right down, right? Wrong. Wasn't in there 5 seconds and it set tight enough to break the plywood when I pushed on it. Lost the baffle and about 3 inches of tube in the deal. Stupid glue. I'll have to keep this in mind when I start my MM soon.
The Elmers school glue is still the same old white Elmers. It makes strong paper to paper bonds. It's all I use for couplers, motor mounts, engine blocks and the like. You can buy a big bottle for a quarter when the school year starts.
I don't have any opinion on the Elmer's School Glue, they may have changed the formulation since I've used it. In the past, I read it doesn't have a strong of bond as the standard Glue-All.
I found a few bottles of the old formula Glue-All (#E372) at a Staples store. I now have five, 4 oz. bottles in reserve. After that, I'll probably have to switch to epoxy when gluing engine mounts and couplers. I'd rather play it safe!