Sunday, January 16, 2011

LAUNCH! Schoolyard January 14, 2011

Cold, Cold, COLD!
It got into the low 30s last night in Central Florida. This morning I made sure to repack the parachutes and streamers before flying.


Take a close look at the back end of this MicroMaxx nozzle in the FlisKits INTERLOPER.
It was cut off into the clay nozzle end and is 1/16" shorter than other MMX engines.
I don't think this one should have made it through quality control.

What the heck, I gave it a go.
While I was expecting a small disaster, it performed just fine.

Even this little rocket drifted to far for me, so I went with streamers and a reefed chute.




The Hot Rod Rockets BELL BOTTOM flew with an A3-4t. Conical and very stable. The streamer in this one is metallic mylar, easy to follow in recovery.







The downscale, carded A-20 DEMON had a low flight with a 1/2A3-2t. I should've went with an A3-4t or A10-3t. Still a good flight and recovery under a long crepe paper streamer.






My favorite of the day was the Eric Truax carded SCAMP. It's the size of the original Estes kit, 13 1/2" tall and a BT-50 size diameter.

The Quest A6-4 engines are perfect for small fields. They take just a moment to build up thrust on the launcher before the rocket takes off. The nose is down when the four second delay hits the ejection charge. This morning, the reefed chute was a good idea.



Last up was the Powered Quest FLIC with an A10-3t.

All was good until ejection. The thin Kevlar shock line separated at the engine block.
Both the weighted nose cone and body fell within 10 feet of each other.
It's repairable, but it's time to retire it and build another powered Flic.
I've got a dozen Flics upstairs in a box!

No comments:

Post a Comment