Friday, January 28, 2011

Launch! Schoolyard January 27, 2011


I didn't sleep in this morning, I was at the Soccer field at about 7:15 a.m. to beat the early breeze.

The downscale carded MERCURY REDSTONE had a high ride on a Estes A3-4t. I'd estimate the altitude at 400 feet. After recovery on a 16" streamer I walked back to the launcher. I didn't notice the tower had broken off! I didn't bother looking too hard for it.

I must not have given this rocket a good protective clear spray, the wet grass really smeared some of the printing. This one is retired, I'll reuse the capsule, shock cord and engine mount. I'll print and make another soon.

The downscale carded PATRIOT had a great stable boost with an Estes A10-3t. The altitude was around 450 feet.

I tried to take some launch pictures, but it was just me handling both the camera and controller.
I snapped the shutter when I heard the engine "hiss". This was all I got! But, it's a step in the right direction.


The Semroc ASTRON was launched with a Quest A6-4.

This is my new favorite small field engine. These Chinese made Quest engines have a louder thrust than other A's. I like how they take a moment on the pad before moving. Estimated altitude was 300 feet.

Here's another attempt at a launch shot. It's a little blurry, but you can just see the flame starting out the nozzle. The parachute was closed (reefed) with a wrap of tape. You can see I "stuck" the landing.

This morning, the MicroMaxx rockets weren't as successful.
A carded downscale MMX ZOOM BROOM went sky-writing. I have no explanation for this, it's flown stable many times before. At ejection, the nose cone broke off the Kevlar shock cord. It's repairable and will fly again.

The FlisKits HONEST JOHN flew very well on a MicroMaxx engine. At ejection there was no streamer, the nose cone did release and it landed with no damage. The weird thing was, when I pulled out the streamer, the shock cord came loose from the engine mount! Maybe it was a good thing the streamer didn't eject. This'll be repaired to fly again.

No comments:

Post a Comment