Tuesday, January 11, 2011

TIP - Cutting Square Engine Hook Slots


I know some will read this and think it's a little extreme. I try to do my builds with clean internal and external construction.

When cutting a 1/8" long slit for the upper bent end of the engine hook, try this for a stronger, square rectangle slit.
Mark the motor mount tube location with a pencil.

Start ONE SIDE of the slit with a sharp knife. Don't cut any longer than the 1/8" slit length. Remove the blade. You'll be left with a "pie shaped" wedge slit. For first cut, the blade is held normally with the tapered, sharp side DOWN.


Turn the blade over, this time with the tapered sharp side UP.
Press the square back side of the blade into the pointed edge of the wedge cut you first made. This will press and form the narrow end of the cut into another squared end.





Here's the finished cut, both sides of the 1/8" slit are square. The bent end of the engine hook will easily fit without forcing or tearing into the tube.

2 comments:

  1. Aaahhh! :-D That will work especially well for those really exceptionally flimsy motor tubes that come with some kits (like Estes), which I find are prone to crushing if the slit isn't quite large or wide enough. Great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ray,
    I'm glad somebody doesn't think I'm nuts for going this far!
    I stay away from BT-20 and BT-50 tubing - especially in an engine mount. They're too thin and prone to dents and bends. I prefer the old Centuri ST tubing. Just a bit thicker walled and a whole lot stonger.

    ReplyDelete